Prof Erwin day 2morrow wear kakis.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#41 Sylar

Sylar

Lima

• Members
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:13 AM

no offence but I am not in the mood.

same...
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie, and one to listen.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

-Homer J Simpson

#42 Andy

Andy

Evil Andy

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

Not sure what that has to do with anything...

My point was that you keep going on about Kruger and why oh why we don't worship him instead. I will with pleasure. As you already know how I feel about animals, I will gladly bow down and sing his praises as I will sing the praise of any person from anywhere in the world (including Australia *gasp*) her does their bit for animal welfare but you seem to only want to give recognition to the people that are born in your wonderful land. That's my point.

#43 Sylar

Sylar

Lima

• Members
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:37 AM

Paul Kruger named the park another man was responsible for creating it.
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie, and one to listen.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

-Homer J Simpson

#44 Fabjewel

Fabjewel

Cotard

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:07 AM

There are countless people every day that makes huge and valuable contributions to the conservation cause and animals as a whole. What made Steve Irwin different, is that people knew about him.

As you rightly pointed out, O, he had his TV shows and he did extremely dangerous things. He obviously saw a way to capture the attention of the public. In doing so, he made them watch his shows because it was interesting and different. Have you seen some of the conservation video material out there? It is tedious and longwinded and the presenters are jawdroppingly boring. With Steve's shows, he captured the imagination and in the process emparted huge amounts of knowledge and conservation. At the end of the day, no matter how controversial, he got his message across and he turned people towards animals and conservation.

The fact that people remember him and not other conservationists should not take away from the great work that he accomplished. It also does not make people's appreciation for the contributions a lot of unknowns bring to the field, less. Once an animal lover, always an animal lover.
The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone. ~George Elliot

#45 Sean

Sean

Lima

• Members
  • 10,900 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 09:13 AM

LOL if you want to see a Steve Irwin Wannabe that gets eaten by his subjects on a regular basis look toward brady bar

#46 metoo

metoo

Stockholm

• Administrators
  • 14,488 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

So are you telling me that the man who originally made it possible for some of the most endangered species in the world to have a safe haven right here in our own country can just be ignored? In what way is it different other than a couple of years?

Where did I say that O?

FABulous post Fab! :lol:
Fact of Life:
After Monday and Tuesday...
even the calendar says

W T F.

#47 Guest_germanchick_*

Guest_germanchick_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

Thats not the point...

There was no reason for him to be swimming that close to the ray.. or on top of it for that matter. He was doing something stupid and got killed.

He dangled his kid in front of a croc FFS...

Hmm maybe the ray didn't get the memo that all animals should evacuate the ocean when he went diving? .. :lol: heehee

#48 indigo

indigo

Fregoli

• Members
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

There are countless people every day that makes huge and valuable contributions to the conservation cause and animals as a whole. What made Steve Irwin different, is that people knew about him.

As you rightly pointed out, O, he had his TV shows and he did extremely dangerous things. He obviously saw a way to capture the attention of the public. In doing so, he made them watch his shows because it was interesting and different. Have you seen some of the conservation video material out there? It is tedious and longwinded and the presenters are jawdroppingly boring. With Steve's shows, he captured the imagination and in the process emparted huge amounts of knowledge and conservation. At the end of the day, no matter how controversial, he got his message across and he turned people towards animals and conservation.

The fact that people remember him and not other conservationists should not take away from the great work that he accomplished. It also does not make people's appreciation for the contributions a lot of unknowns bring to the field, less. Once an animal lover, always an animal lover.

Well said, Fab.

Posted Image Posted Image

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it. ~ Marcus Aurelius

#49 Fabjewel

Fabjewel

Cotard

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thanks, metoo and Indie. Imagine what I could have said if I wasn't so busy :lol:
The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone. ~George Elliot