Tired of downtime/speed? I bloody am.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 AntiThesis

AntiThesis

Psychosis

• Administrators
  • 19,721 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:03 AM

In the last month, this site has had downtime 24 times. Sometimes for a short while, sometimes a goodly span. The speed is not too bad (for me anyway) on the forums but the RPG is still going at a crawl.

We've talked about hosts before and Afrihost came through with shining colours and made a great deal. 100% uptime and all the features you could shake a stick at.

Turns out you can claim the 100% uptime 3 times in total and thereafter you get a response like so:

"Whilst every effort on our side is made to ensure that your site is always up, we seems to have failed to give you the best web hosting service ever. We would therefore not have any objections should you decide to move your web hosting to another provider."

So the long and short of it is that I/we must look at other hosting arrangements again. Any change would take effect during the end of year downtime to ensure minimum of ickyness for members.

A number of hosts have put forward plans that may work out but I still need to see examples of sites they are hosting to compare speeds. When I get the links I'll post them here and let you guys decide as well.

In addition to all this, it's advised that we change to a .co.za/.com rather than co.za. There are a couple of reasons for this which include easier transfer of DNS and better search engine traffic.

So what think ye? Change the hosts (if a good one can be found), change the domain? If so... to what?

Your input is valued as always :)
“We are limited, not by our abilities, but by our vision.”

#2 gaebriel

gaebriel

Fregoli

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:08 AM

New host that can actually do thier job is always a very good option Anti.

As for the Domain name change... isn't that gonna ge pricey for you? If I recall you went with the .co.za route to save some bucks.

As for the host change time... I vote for the week that Cloudy gets his Paris av Friday...
(781): Are you seriously drinking already? It's 11AM. Still morning.
(1-781): I'm going by McDonald's time. And since they stop serving breakfast at 10:30 and start serving lunch, it is now afternoon.
- http://www.textsfromlastnight.com

#3 AntiThesis

AntiThesis

Psychosis

• Administrators
  • 19,721 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:13 AM

co.za is a free domain which is handled purely by volunteers.

Co.za would cost R50 once off IIRC.

#4 Orange

Orange

Diogenes

• Members
  • 8,387 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:14 AM

As for the host change time... I vote for the week that Cloudy gets his Paris av Friday...

Seconded.

None of the areas of the site have been too bad for me (or maybe I'm just used to slow speed internet as that's all I've ever really had), but downtime is a real issue. So if you can come up with another host that is more reliable but offers much the same in speed (or an improvement) and cost then I say go for it.

As for the domain name, I'm not overly sure it needs to change. But if it has to then the .co.za version would be somewhat much better than the .com. Especially as the .com takes you to a site that discusses Altzheimers...
This office works on the FIFO principle. If you find this unacceptable, please feel free to ignore FI.

#5 AntiThesis

AntiThesis

Psychosis

• Administrators
  • 19,721 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:18 AM

Well we can always change the actual domain name to something other than dementia as well. We've considered it in the past and it would sure help with those poor people who come here and ask me questions about their grandparents :/

#6 TheAJKMan

TheAJKMan

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

I'm all for a .co.za domain, will even contribute to that. AS for hosts, their are also costs to consider there. What could be afforded and where would that money come from?
Live long and prosper
"I love you" is eight letters long ..... but then again so is "bullshit."
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly

#7 maji

maji

Fregoli

• Members
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:40 AM

Well we can always change the actual domain name to something other than dementia as well. We've considered it in the past and it would sure help with those poor people who come here and ask me questions about their grandparents :/

Hahaha, shame man...surely they find light relief here and maybe we could indeed help them grow and could have a thread all there to help them?

I am ok with the speed etc but I go with the flow anyway.
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

#8 TheAJKMan

TheAJKMan

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:41 AM

Errr, if we gonna do it, the coza domain is still available at the moment.
Live long and prosper

#9 maji

maji

Fregoli

• Members
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:44 AM

just a per se, why can I not reply here to add my daily peeve?

Not that I have peeves...but sometimes I pick up old threads from bots and spiders that look interesting..

#10 Sylar

Sylar

Lima

• Members
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:46 AM

Don't be afraid to ask for cash, if it means faster RPG and more uptime then i'm sure that many users would be happy to make some sort of contribution.

I like the name Dementia, but I think that a move to the .co.za domain would be cool.
Marge, it takes two to lie. One to lie, and one to listen.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand!

-Homer J Simpson

#11 metoo

metoo

Stockholm

• Administrators
  • 14,488 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:49 AM

I am happy to contribute cash too Anit. If that makes all the problems go away i will even set up a debit order.

I love our name Dementia, and really dont feel one way or the other about staying a co.za or becoming a co.za

As for hosting, I cant help you there cos I am clueless
Fact of Life:
After Monday and Tuesday...
even the calendar says

W T F.

#12 AntiThesis

AntiThesis

Psychosis

• Administrators
  • 19,721 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:02 AM

just a per se, why can I not reply here to add my daily peeve?

That thread is in The Chamber (archived) and is classified as dead so no replies go in.

Thanks for the offers of support folks. Financial support is something I've always avoided like the plague and always will if I Can possibly help it.

#13 metoo

metoo

Stockholm

• Administrators
  • 14,488 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

Maji, I will move the thread out from the archives, 'specially for you!!!
Fact of Life:
even the calendar says

W T F.

#14 TheAJKMan

TheAJKMan

G.O.F.

• Members
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:11 AM

ANd don't make me come down there to PE and open a can of whoopass on yah :) I'd also contribute something
Live long and prosper

#15 maji

maji

Fregoli

• Members
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:13 AM

Thanks AntiThesis, for the exposition, I like to read the old stuff anyhow, makes for interesting reading :)

Hmm agree on finances...if we should have to change the name we can always let it happen in conjunction with the kind ad offer from the Voiceman ;)

Metoo :hug: you are such anangel...remember the series with the lady saying "I'manangel..."? whenever she appeared to be out of this world? In an irish voice...

#16 metoo

metoo

Stockholm

• Administrators
  • 14,488 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

If twenty members contribute R10 a month, that goes a long way to pay hosting fees.

I will not miss that R10! Really. I am sure none of us will. Dont be shy Anit. This is afterall OUR forum too and we need to step up and help out to keep it going.
Fact of Life:
even the calendar says

W T F.

#17 gaebriel

gaebriel

Fregoli

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:24 AM

Also fond of the name Dementia... But I guess it could be a prob if people ask you for things like that...

I agree with Metoo, R10 is nada...
(781): Are you seriously drinking already? It's 11AM. Still morning.
(1-781): I'm going by McDonald's time. And since they stop serving breakfast at 10:30 and start serving lunch, it is now afternoon.
- http://www.textsfromlastnight.com

#18 Gemstone

Gemstone

Fregoli

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:35 AM

:cry:I love the name Dementia ... even those that are enquiring about their grandparents can have a bit of fun ... :cry:Can the name Dementia please stay:hug:

As for host and co.za or .com ... I'm clueless:rofl: ... I just click away and never even look at the domain:cry_laugh:

Thanks for asking us Anti:hug:
Don't let what you can't do interfere with what you can do

#19 Elfgirl

Elfgirl

Cotard

• Members
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

Anti, anything that makes hosting smoother is cool with me... I also just aim for 'dementia' and don't care if it's .co.za or .co.za or .outermongolia!

Oh, and please don't hesitate to yell if contributions are necessary :)
Don't worry. It only seems kinky the first time!

#20 Crazy

Crazy

Cotard

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

Anti, I'm for faster hosting and less downtime. Please stick with Dementia. If co.za is better, let's go that way. Like the others have said: the R10 is nothing.

Thanks again for all your 'behind-the-scenes' effort.
You can't be a Real Country unless you have a BEER and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a BEER.
FRANK ZAPPA